The EastSeven Berlin Hostel made you an amazing top 10 of cost-free activities and events in Berlin this winter.
Berlin is an exciting capitol, where lots of events are being organized all through the year. Some of these events are free of admission.
So if you are traveling on a low budget, like a lot of backpackers staying in hostels do, read on! You will be able to have a great time in berlin without spending too much money 🙂 .
1. Visit the Sachsenhausen Memorial and Museum.
When visiting Berlin, you should visit some historical sites aswell. for instance the sachsenhausen concentration camp. It’ s not going to be a fun trip, but you will learn so much more about the terrible second world war and its victims.
Opening Hours: 15 October until 14 March: daily 8:30 – 16:30. Entry is for free.
2. Visit the Mauerpark fleamarket, every sunday! You will find a lot of nice bargains there! Besides that, there is food, music and a lot of young people enjoying a lazy sunday together! The market is within walking distance from the hostel.
3. EastSide Gallery, is a 1.3km-long section of the wall near the center of Berlin. Approximately 106 paintings by artists from all over the world cover this memorial for freedom and make it the largest open air gallery in the world.
4. The Berlin Wall Documentation Centre is one component of the memorial site ensemble at Bernauer Strasse. The ensemble consists of the Berlin Wall Memorial, the Chapel of Reconciliation and Documentation Center.
The Documentation Center on the history of the Berlin Wall provides historical information and educates the public. It makes information and in-depth programs available to the interested public. Beginning with the historical, political events that occurred at Bernauer Strasse, an area situated at the border between East and West and hence a focal point of German postwar history, the center researches and presents the history of the division of Germany. A visit is free of charge and really worthwhile!
5. Ping pong bar, Dr. Pong, at the Eberswalder straße. You pay a deposit of 5€ to get a bat , and then you just start playing table tennis with evryone that is there! Its definately a great deal of FUN!
6. Don´t miss out on the monday & wednesday evening cooking events at the EastSeven Hostel. The food is for free, it´s vegetarian and 100% delicious. Our cook Florian makes the best food in town! Its also a nice opportunity to meet up with other travelers.
7. Go on a walking tour to visit all important sights in Berlin. Just take the Brewers walking tour, they come to pick you up every day at 12.45 from our hostel.
8. The stasi prison in Berlin Hohenschönhausen is free of admission on mondays.The Memorial’s charter specifically entrusts it with the task of researching the history of the Hohenschönhausen prison between 1945 and 1989, supplying information via exhibitions, events and publications, and encouraging a critical awareness of the methods and consequences of political persecution and suppression in the communist dictatorship. The former Stasi remand prison is also intended to provide an insight into the workings of the GDR’s political justice system.
Since the vast majority of the buildings, equipment and furniture and fittings have survived intact, the Memorial provides a very authentic picture of prison conditions in the GDR. The Memorial’s location in Germany’s capital city makes it the key site in Germany for victims of communist tyranny.
9. Holocaust Memorial. Berlins ultra-controversial memorial for the murdered Jews of Europe, 2,711 concrete blocks jutting off at offensive and suffocating angles. Co-incidentally only a stones throw away from the site of Adolf Hitlers former underground lair, the Führerbunker.
10.Reichstag – The German parliament building,
re-opened in 1999 after the government and most of the ministries moved from Bonn to Berlin. British architect Lord Norman Foster redesigned this place, complete with a huge glass dome with public access, so you can watch the politicians at work.
If you need more help and inspiring ideas for planning your berlin city trip make sure to also check out our online staff-recommendations. Also just come ask our friendly staff at the reception. Hope to see you all soon in Berlin at the EastSeven Berlin Hostel!!